First Time for Everything: A Harlem Shake Wedding

Weddings can be pretty predictable most of the time. Generally the flow of the day is pretty well established, and since we've been a part of so many different weddings we generally know what to expect. A few weeks ago we walked into the Hampton Inn Convention Center in New Orleans expecting our typical bride and groom prep. You know, getting hair and makeup done, maybe a few beers and some sports on TV, that sort of thing.

 We arrived at Jacqueline's room, said our hellos and started scoping out the scene. While we were looking around Jacqueline immediately said, "The guys have been waiting for you, they're all ready to go!". This was a good four hours before the ceremony was scheduled to start and I was a little confused as to why the guys were "ready" so early. I ran to the elevator hoping to get some shots of them putting on some of the last details for the tuxes; I thought we had missed out on ALL of the prep footage.

 As I walked up to the room I could hear the guys through the door. It sounded like they were having a good time. I knocked on the door and waited for a few seconds. I was expecting someone in a tuxedo to open the door. Instead a 6ft 2 version of Wolverine (yes, that Wolverine) cracked open the door and told me to come on in. I was confused to say the least.

 Randy, the groom, informed me we would be making a Harlem Shake video as our first order of business for the day. EVERYONE in the room was in costume and it was quite a sight. After I gathered my thoughts and a few more pieces of gear we made the following video.

 
Groomsmen Harlem Shake from Brock Gomez on Vimeo.

It was a BLAST. I've never laughed so much while filming any part of a wedding, and everyone involved had a great time. It was completely unexpected and a great way to set the tone for the day. It's a perfect example of how different each wedding can be. Sure, they all follow a similar format, but each couple is unique and has their own personalities that have to be showcased. In this case we had a wild bunch of dudes really know how to have a good time.

Thanks to Randy, Jacqueline and everyone else involved with the wedding. It was so much fun and we're honored to be included in your wedding day!